Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Tip of the Week > TIP OF THE WEEK:

John Callaghan
Administrator

Water clarity is great right now, and probably will be until the summer rain patterns emerge. During this period of clear water, be sure to think about your leader selection.

Flourocarbon should be your first choice

If no Snook are likely to be encountered try going down to 20lb leader and also think about extending your leader length to 36" or more.

To accomodate this longer leader you may want to try using a knot with a smaller profile, such as the sebile knot, or the slim beauty, so it can travel through your guides easier on the cast.

Tight Lines!

--
The secret to becoming a better fisherman is, to become a better liar
April 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

michael bandera

Thanks for the tip.  Us novice fisherman appreciate them.  We are camping at Oscar Scherer Sun.-Tues. fishing Little Sarasota Bay and will put that tip to use.

April 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ratherbefishin
Administrator

Thanks!  Another advantage to the longer leader is when you have to retie after a ladyfish scuffs up and thus, weakens your leader a few inches from your lure. More time fishin less time tyin.

--

Curt Willocks

April 9, 2014 at 6:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave R

I've noticed some anglers tie a lure to the leader with a loose not and others tie it tight. Which is better and why?

--

Dave R

April 10, 2014 at 10:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

With a regular knot the only action is that of the body of the lure.  With a loop knot the lure pivots on the eye of the hook or connection and gives the lure more 'swing'

Topwater lures probably have all the action they need but I still loop knot those too.   Jigs I would always do it.   It is a small cosmetic thing but just that little extra action can't hurt.

--

"Something violent is about to happen!"

April 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donald

I use a blood knot. Smallest knot. Strongest knot.

April 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator

I use a loop knot for all my leader to lure  connections - it gives the lure freedom to move 

--
April 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David L
Administrator

I use loop knots but found with some topwaters having the loop means the front hooks getting caught in the line more often. Especially on lures that already have a swivel on them.

April 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator

If your hooks are getting caught on your loop knots, your loops are too big.

--
April 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donald

Don't use a loop if lure has a swivel. With any lure, the smallest loop, as long as it is free, is the best. My earlier post is the knot I use leader to main line.

--
April 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SamL
Administrator

It might be the smallest knot but it is a fat knot. The sebile is skinney but a little harder to tie.

April 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bucklerb

Back to John's opening statement - and a comment made by Tim Whitfield at last night's monthly meeting- What length leader do most of you use?  I do the old extended arm to nose length measurement.  I have often wondered about going longer.  Thoughts?

--

"If you have to measure it 3 times.... It is not a keeper.... Throw it back"!

Bruce

NATIVE MANTA RAY 14

813-362-2002

April 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

Longer than a foot and a half.    How often do you cut one off and tie another one on?   If you do that a lot, start with a longer leader.    I do two foot leaders because I don't do a lot of lure switching.    I also lose a lot less line when I do because I have the skills to work with tiny tags to retie.   

--

April 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David L
Administrator

My eyes aren't good enought for tiny tags. Also, my loops are small, the hooks don't get caught in the loops but are more likely to get around the line when doing a little dog walkin due to increased action.

April 16, 2014 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

Just do a regular knot.  You do not have to loop knot the plugs.   At the next meeting I will demonstrate the ease of a loop knot and controlling the size of the loop (if you want me to)

--

April 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David L
Administrator

I'm good. 

April 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.