Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Tip of the Week > Tip of the week - to Jig or not to Jig?

ratherbefishin
Administrator

I would guess that if you survey inshore fishermen about their favorite lure, the majority would say the jig.  Whether feathers, Maribou, nylon or plastic tail, all will produce.  Plastic will typically sink slower, but feather, nylon and Maribou will seem to "breathe" whereas the plastics action is often dependent on the design of the tail.  You can even fish a jig under a popping cork and "call in" fish to see your lure while suspending it over obstructions.

Regardless of style used, one of the most effective tactics is to simply use a steady retrieve, and let that tail design do it's work, especially around grass beds and oyster laden bottoms. If I am using a hair jig I will occasionally give is a slight wrist snap to activate that "breathe" action. Sand holes and mud flats almost scream for you to allow your jig to bump the bottom and telegraph their presence with a puff of sand.  Jigging the lure, rather than a steady retrieve can frequently prompt a strike on the fall and ESPECIALLY pay attention when your jig lands on a cast.  That initial fall into the strike zone is often when you will get thumped.

So there is probably no wrong retrieve on a jig, just try to see what works.  That is the beauty of the jig, it is a very flexible bait, easily adaptable to the conditions you face.

--

Curt Willocks

April 17, 2014 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

Sha na na na na na.      

Subsurface, the jig is such a tremendous tool, I would say that I utilize it 80% of the time.   Lots of options, have an assortment.  I rely on soft plastics a lot.   Other baits may be more durable but I gravitate to plastics.   

--

"Something violent is about to happen!"

April 17, 2014 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ratherbefishin
Administrator

Sooo what is everybody's favorites?

I like a 1/16 or 1/8 MF jig head with a 12 Fathom 3" mullet tail in Gold D Lucks, Z-man Deizel minnow on Z-man 1/8 jig head, any style and a white marabou crappie jig, 1/8 oz.  Lately been using a Spro 1/8 Phat Fly jig in baby bass or grey ghost.

--

Curt Willocks

April 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.