Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Fishing Reports > Ft DeSoto on Fire for Trout Sunday May 11

DougW

The trout bite at daybreak was fantastic & picked up again in mid-afternoon with the tide change.  Worked the channels, drops & sandholes in the area of "radio-tower flats".  Caught about 3 dozen trout trout (1/3 were keeper size and the rest were an inch or two short) and a nice 26" Bluefish.  Largest trout was 24". Chased a small school of 3-4 cobia aroung for about an hour but couldn;t persuade them to take my bait.  Used 1/8 oz jig head with pink, smoke or pearl "mudminnow" immitations all day. Color didn't seem to make any difference. The pinfish and others wereclipping off the soft body tails all day. Didn't have any Z-Man bodies or would have used them. Wife & I had a nice bluefish dinner - prepared like catfish strips - soaked in egg, rolled in flour & cornmeal seasoned with old bay, then pan fried.  I ordinarily don;t like to eat Bluefish - but these strips were good!  Hope to get some more trout at the upcoming Goomba.

--

Amia calva - The hardest fighting fresh water fish in North America!

May 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

David L
Administrator

Sounds great. Where to go on Saturday is turning out to be a hard decision.

May 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Walt_trident13

I hear ya Dave, I've narrowed it down to Picnic and Desoto. I'm leaning towards Desoto. Paddling under the bridge and fishing the east side. Last time I did that (month ago) I was nailing some big trout once I switched to my biggest top water (Pink/White Badunk a dunk) and making all kinds of noise. They were blowing it up on every cast.

May 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DougW

A friend & I  fished Weedon Island (mostly), flats just north of Gandy bridge on Pinellas side, and Picnic Island (least) from his boat on Wednesday and it was too windy.  Only two small bait schools were observed in 5 hours, and they were off the channel at Picnic. Couldn't even catch pinfish from around the pier at Picnic Island.  My guess is that the baitfish have not migrated up Tampa Bay in abundance yet.  I'd opt for Ft DeSoto

--

Amia calva - The hardest fighting fresh water fish in North America!

May 17, 2014 at 7:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Walt_trident13

It was a windy day on Saturday. I decided to paddle against it on the way out so I could slowly drift back to the launch on the way in when I was tired. Trout, spanish mackeral, catfish, and jack cravelles all caught on soft plastics. Nothing was liking the top water.

May 19, 2014 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.