Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Fishing Reports > May 23rd Goomba Report

DougW

Duplicated from elsewhere on this site

Hi group. I arrived at Robinson Preserve at 6:40 am and was surprised to find the gates open. I drove right up to the launch, offloaded, and was on my way just as the "Skyway Caravan" was arriving. There was a strong incoming Spring tide, no full moon the night before, and the water was a slick as glass except for the mullet jumping.

I immediately grabbed my 6'6", moderate-fast action Quantum Specs & Reds rod/Quantum Smoke Inshore casting reel spooled with 20 lb green Power Pro braid and an 18" Ande Tournament 30lb mono leader. I tied on a Top Dog Junior (84m18 - Green Back/Silver Side/White Belly). I like to use mono when "walking the dog" as it helps the action and seems to prevent the line from entangling in the hooks. I had modified the lure by replacing the two trebles with single hooks, the front hook with barb facing forward and the rear hook with barb facing rearward. The modification made it "semi-weedless", I was able to fish thru a lot of the loose grass that was floating on the surface.

About 100 or so yards from the launch a big snook blew up on the lure and knocked it into an adjacent mangrove. After retrieving, the lure, I cast it about 100 ft away near a concrete block wall at the back of a little inlet and began "walking the dog" toward the open water. A big snook (perhaps the same one) struck again. This time, however, it grabbed a hook, and after about a 5 minute fight complete with several screaming drag runs it made and its one attempt to defy gravity and leave the water, I landed the fish. It was an out of season "keeper” that I estimate was about 3" long and had broad shoulders.

After releasing it and my recovering from the associated adrenalin rush, I moved down toward the outlet a little bit and hooked into another smaller snook which I lost at the boat due to my careless. About this time, the Kayak Club passed me, headed for the flats. Three or 4 yaks stopped in front of me in the little lagoon by the lookout tower, and one guy was instructing the others on how to saltwater fish. Continuing to work the opposite shore from the tower, I got my 4th hit from a snook and managed to also land it. It was about 2' long. I yelled out to the "fishing class" "Snook, Snook" several times thinking the class might like to see a snook and/or hear how I caught it, but I guess they didn't hear me. I released the fish after showing it to another Club member who was behind me.

WOW! What a start.

I then paddled against the strong incoming tidal current to catch up with the Club out on the flats. By the time I got there, they had spread out. I noticed a concentration of local boats on the outside edge of the flats. One guy operating a flats boat was anchored on an outside sand bar (in water about 4' deep) and fly fishing, wind at his back, by placing his fly in the deeper, grass laden water (about 5'-6' deep) toward shore. He was catching a lot of trout.

I decided to join the fun and found a similar spot nearby. Not needing the accuracy of a bait caster, I grabbed my trusty 7', medium light, fast action, Quantum Cabo rod/Daiwa Fuego-A 2500 spinning reel combo. The reel was spooled with 10 lb Power Pro green braid and an 18", 20 lb test Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon leader to which I had tied a single red & white 3/32 oz Love's Lure jig head. I like to use a low weight/light wire jig over sea grass because it sinks very slowly and because the light wire hook penetrates a fishes mouth, one’s careless finger, etc. easily. In an attempt to mimic the white bait that has been abundant in the Skyway area this Spring, I super-glued a 3" pearl, paddle tail, H&H "Cocahoe Minnow" (mud minnow) to the hook shank.

Over the next few hours I landed about 40 trout, most of which will be keepers next year. When I ran out of H&H paddle tails, I switched to Z-Man pearl paddle tails which look about the same as the H&H minnows but hold up better against pinfish, lizardfish, puffers, etc. I did manage a limit of “barely legal” Spotted Sea Trout “which I cleaned when I got home. My wife and I enjoyed these trout for dinner, sprinkled with Old Bay Seasoning, splashed with olive oil, and broiled in an oven a few minutes. Yum! Yum!

It was a great day for me! Tight Lines!

DougW

--

Amia calva - The hardest fighting fresh water fish in North America!

May 30, 2014 at 5:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Luck

Great report

June 9, 2014 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.