Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Tip of the Week > Tip of the week

John Callaghan
Administrator
Tip of the week: Colored water With the dog days of summer comes colored water, especially inside Tampa Bay. Water temps sore and the Summer storms bring lots of run-off, causing algae and other particulates to suspend in the water. A change of approach can help you still be successful. Firstly keep moving, cover water until you find signs of life, which usually coincides with finding cleaner water. Those winter backwater spots typically are not going to be good this time of year, for the exact reasons why they produce in cold weather, too much Sun, not enough water exchange, soft and dark bottom are all things to avoid in summer. Look for areas with good water movement and closer to passes. The gulf can be 10-15 degrees cooler than bay this time of year and the influx of cooler and cleaner water can be enough to switch on the feed. Lure selection can also improve your chances. Try using darker soft plastics and couple them with a contrasting color of jighead, white, yellow or chartreuse for example. Hard plastics with rattles should also be among your lures of choice, scale down the size of your lures too, like the Mirrolure Top-Pup, mirro-minnow or the mini-dine. Finally slowdown your retrieve, and give lots of pauses, as the heat tends to make the predators lethargic. Catch 'em up
--
The secret to becoming a better fisherman is, to become a better liar
June 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PackerYaker

Ditto for the Ozello area, John, which may explain your success off Bear Island..........don't know why Neil and I struck out.  Oh, that's right, Neil went to sleep.

--

Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

June 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator
It was Ozello that prompted me to write the tip Gary.
--
June 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PackerYaker

John.....could you be a little more specific about where you got your reds (was it the north shore of Bear Is as you headed west or the western edge).  Were they caught near the shoreline or farther out.  And, what did you get them on (I know you told me at Pecks, but I forget).  Was in that area again yesterday and struck out again, mostly using topwater.

--

June 25, 2014 at 10:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator

Hey Gary, certainly mate, here you go.

First 4 were caught on Top Pup in greenback white belly, just twitched and paused as it crossed the oysters, the last two were caught on a red jighead with a DOA CAL in gold

--
June 25, 2014 at 2:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PackerYaker

Thanks John.  Yeh, that's pretty much the area I hit.  Weather permitting, I think I'll paddle a bit NW of there tomorrow and try the area just W of the Bird Keys (which is aptly named as you can tell by the smell during breeding season)..  There's a deeper channel there and also a nice grass flat just to the north.  It's a bit more of a paddle for those of us who have to rely on the old fashioned form of horsepower, but I think I can manage..   

--

June 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator

No worries Gary, yep the old fashioned way works too, but without my trolling motor, I would have been in agony all week if I paddled that far.

--
June 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

No reds for me.   I had a stellar nap on a shoreline about 7:15AM

I had one topwater trout, lost another on a SlamR.    I went exploring and probably was too far interior on the lower tide.   I wanted to just hit as much water I have never seen before.    It was fun.  

--

"Something violent is about to happen!"

June 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PackerYaker

Sounds like we should have been a bit farther north, Neil, where John was.  BTW, John, I'll probably be getting a 2nd Wavewalk and motorize that for longer trips, but want to keep paddling as long as the old body holds up.

--

June 25, 2014 at 6:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

I should have been more aggressive.   Then I could have said I caught a redfish.     My end-result worries were nonexistent really.   I needed a day off.   On this one:   I ate too much, drank too much but did not have too much fun (only because there is no such thing). 

Pecks is awesome.   

--

June 26, 2014 at 12:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator
It was a good day
--
June 26, 2014 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

Yes it was.     All indications of summertime conditions already here:   The advice will be pertinent and useful for the next three months.    I have my own ideas on some stuff that differs from others but all ideas are always good to consider.

Heavy rain:  Different things for different areas.   Very good for some, negative in others.   

--

June 29, 2014 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PackerYaker

Hey guys..........how about a tip of the day instead of a tip of the week.  I need all the help I can get!!!!

--

July 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator

PackerYaker at July 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Hey guys..........how about a tip of the day instead of a tip of the week.  I need all the help I can get!!!!

Hey Gary, feel free to add your own tips.

--
July 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PackerYaker

Just kidding about the daily tips, John, but not about needing all the help I can get.  I'll try to think of something creative to add now and then.

--

July 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PackerYaker

Also, I haven't figured out how to add a photo to both the forum and member sections.  Photos might aid in providing various kinds of tips.  Perhaps an explanation might be included in your FAQ section??

--

July 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.