Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Fishing Reports > Tarpon Key 6-24-14

Btrain

Having a 'great' time on the outtings with Ambassador Don....

We did Tarpon Key today @ 6 am

Not much action to start, no birds, no signs of bait, nothing.......since the tide/wind were in place I decided to drift the shoreline (bout an hour before high tide)...tried top water, suspend twitch, gold spoon, but floating grass made it impossible...so,....using an old fashion 12 fathom clear & gold speck 3" mullet paddletail on a 4/0 edje jig...I managed to get a nice 22" red lurking in the shadows in a pocket while drifting by......very fun catch as I saw him hit it while retreiving and he didn't stutter......bang!

Needless to say, I was going to paddle/peddle back and do it again.......and on the way....I spooked the whole dang school! ....water WHOOSHED !...mud swirled and clouded.....and what seemed to be a couple hunderd ( no exageration, school was huge) bronzed-backed critters scurried away......I was Stunned !......responce was something like ...Aw, Crap !.......It was an awesome sight.....love it when I see the things talked about in our seminars...;)

Paddled over to Don, told him what I saw.......we tried to follow/find them, but alas,...flipper in tandem came in for lunch - and that was that!

Dono enough bout how schools migrate, or for how long, to know if they remained in the area, or moved on completely - but Tarpon Key is on my list........... 

--

Bobby Btrain_

You know the best thing about being older: I did most of my 'stupid' stuff before the internet!

June 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ratherbefishin
Administrator

Great post!  Had a guide tell me that sometimes, especially around a spoil or key, like Tarpon, you can just anchor and often they will just circle the island and return.  But if they are spooked bad enough, I never have any luck trying to catch up to them.  Just spook them more it seems.

makes me want to try Tarpon Key again.  Always a good summer spot on weekdays, it seems.

--

Curt Willocks

June 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

I saw you at the rest area before you launched yesterday.   

--

"Something violent is about to happen!"

June 26, 2014 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Btrain

Next time ya gotta throw something at me Neil, lol! ya know I can't hear worth crap.....:P

--

Bobby Btrain_

You know the best thing about being older: I did most of my 'stupid' stuff before the internet!

June 27, 2014 at 7:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator

Ah the joy of being able to fish weekdays, thanks for the report Bobby.

Well done on the fish, my experience with reds around islands is that they will very often just circle around the island and come back. Rarely does chasing a school thats been spooked result in hook ups. They need to relax again and calm down before they'll eat. Often i will just paddle off and fish somewhere else for a half hour or so and then return to see if they'll eat.

--
The secret to becoming a better fisherman is, to become a better liar
June 27, 2014 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Elie gulf

I attended Neil's fishing skool at BJ this week for the first time. Learned about BACK and am eager to join in.  I've always wanted to paddle the Tarpon Key area but not sure where to launch. Maximo?Thanks 

--
June 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ratherbefishin
Administrator

Go to the north skyway rest area exit, go north on the dirt road leading away from the rest area.  At the end of the road is a great launch spot and plenty of parking.  Paddle NW to Tarpon Key and slay em!  

Good luck, hope to see you at our July 15 meeting.  Give us a fishing report!

--

Curt Willocks

June 28, 2014 at 9:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

Glad you got the info on the club at Skool.    Curt's launch site:  Be aware that you are crossing a busy boat channel.   Just like crossin' the street, look both ways and you will be all right.   

--

"Something violent is about to happen!"

June 29, 2014 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Luck

Great report Bobby.  Thanks for posting.

June 30, 2014 at 8:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator

That is very busy boar channel, and can be quite treacherous on weekends, boats on full plane do not like slowing down to let you by, and when a big boats comes off plane they send a huge swell right at you.

Be careful if you go that route, personally I prefer to launch from Tierra Verde causeway, right at Jack Ass Key its a longer paddle, but much less traffic.

--
June 30, 2014 at 8:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Elie gulf
Many thanks on launch info!
--
June 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donald

Another way cool spot to launch is Maximo Park. It is a beach launch. Paddle across to island. Same thing. It is a boat channel. Please be aware. Fish the west side of island about 200 to 400 feet away in the grass flats. Very fun.

--
June 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donald

Just a thought. Do we have a September Goomba location? Maximo Park. What do you guys think. Go to Google Maps and check out what I am talking about.

June 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bucklerb

I was skunked at maximo last year... i want revenge... very nice facilities!  I second the potential 

--

"If you have to measure it 3 times.... It is not a keeper.... Throw it back"!

Bruce

NATIVE MANTA RAY 14

813-362-2002

June 30, 2014 at 7:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Luck

Was at Maximo last  month, incoming tide. Big trout were hitting top water in the AM.

i know Don was there with Bobby, they did real well too.

June 30, 2014 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Al Audleman

Went out Monday AM before sunrise - 4th street beacuse it is very close to where I live now.  Headed west nder I-275.  Little lagoon was teeming with mullet so stopped to see what was gonig on.  Using the Mirrodine, a couple casts to the flats got nothing then a cast into the dropoff from flats to channel and wham, a 37" snook that almost go into the mangroves about 100 yards away but managed to keep her clear and landed her eventually.  Using a light rod it was great fun.

--

Al Audleman

ASAPhoto

850-572-1777

July 1, 2014 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator

The launch at Maximo Park the first island you come to is Indian Key, Tarpon Key is farther south.

Nice fish Al, thats a great Snook.

--
July 3, 2014 at 8:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

John Callaghan
Administrator
Maximize park it is for the September Goomba
--
July 3, 2014 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.