Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Fishing Reports > Ozello Snook School

PackerYaker

Don't know if anyone has had the experience I had off Ozello yesterday, when I paddled over to a commotion on the water figuring it was a school of jacks (or, hopefully, reds) when it turned out to be a big school of snook.  I ended up hooking two and getting a 30 incher in b4 they disappeared.  I was so excited that I couldn't spend any time getting my camera for a picture of two.  What an awesome experience after too many days with little action.  I'll be on the lookout for them again tomorrow.

--

Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

August 8, 2014 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DougW

Nice!  I have never run into a schoolof Snook busting baitfish, but I have caught 3 of them in a very small area on the outside edge of the grassline at E.G. Simmons Park using a 3/32 oz Love's Lure jig head coupled with my go-to pearl H&H Cocahoe minnow (mud minnow). What were you using for bait?

--

Amia calva - The hardest fighting fresh water fish in North America!

August 9, 2014 at 10:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

What a tragedy it will be if the 60 x 60 mile stretch of algae hits those fish.   

--

"Something violent is about to happen!"

August 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DougW

If you just want to go up that way and spend a pleasant day exploring, the Tampa Bay Sierra Club has a day trip as follows: Aug 24 - Weeki Wachee Paddle Outing. 9 am. Learn about one of Florida’s 33 first magnitude springs while paddling 6 miles downstream all the while watching for manatees, otters, wading birds and other wildlife. Directions: We meet at Paddling Adventures, the outfitter at Weeki Wachee. 6131 Commercial Way (aka US 19) Spring Hill, FL 34606. From Tampa via Suncoast Expressway (which is an extension of the Veterans Expressway) go north to SR 50. West on SR 50 approximately 6 miles to US 19. Turn left (south) on 19 and go a short distance to the entrance of Weeki Wachee State Park. Drive through the SP parking lot to the southwest corner and look for the Canoe & Kayak rental sign. Website: paddlingadventures.com or call 352-597-8484 to reserve your canoe or kayak. It’s important to call ahead to reserve your canoe or kayak if you are not bringing your own. Cost: $30 sgl kayak, $35 dbl kayak and $35 canoe. Cost include paddles, PFDs and transportation back to launch site. This website has all the information you need including a map. Important to get there early because this is a busy place in the summer time. For the adventurous bring mask, fins and snorkel. Plenty of opportunities to jump in for a refreshing swim. Don’t forget sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, and WATER. Bring snacks, drinks and lunch. Bugs shouldn’t be a problem, but always come prepared. Leader: Gail Parsons, [email protected], 813-928-1412 ( cell #). Please email if you plan on coming or if you have any questions. If you don’t have email call and leave a clear name and number if at first you don’t reach me. ( Tampa Bay) [email protected]

--

Amia calva - The hardest fighting fresh water fish in North America!

August 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

PackerYaker

I'm a topwater addict, Doug, and was using my go-to Ima Skimmer.

Right, Neil.....sure hope that red tide stays far offshore, and misses our fish. 

--

Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

August 13, 2014 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil
Administrator

The update yesterday is that it is now moving parallel to the coast.   That's better than the "half a mile per day" toward the coast.  

--

"Something violent is about to happen!"

August 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Luck

Not good news

--

Oh ya, I fish

August 14, 2014 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.