Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Fishing Reports > Sail fish and Dolphin

Lady Luck

last weekend I went to Pompano to pre fish for the extreme sailfish tournament.  Well really I went to test my new Navtive ProPel Sayer in breakers and larger than west coast waves.  

Went over with a couple of other guys who have fished in the Gulf Stream before and met up with Joe Hector, originator of the extream tournament series for a private lesson.  Well it was really to see if Pam could get her butt in her water craft while standing in waist deep water and dodging breakers.  

Obstacle one.  Get yak and gear over 300 yards of ankle deep soft sand.    Wheels were not as helpful as one would think...but we made it in a couple of trips.

Obstacle two: getting in the yak.  Now please keep in mind, I've only had this yak about a month and ALL of my outings have been in skinny water, no waves or wake.

note to self..pull a couple of the scuffers out Before you load the boat and a wave crashes over and fills the front and back compartments with water.  Joe Hector comment was, "Pam, why is your boat full of water"?

well we all got in and were off.   I had a couple of hits, but did not let the sail run with the bait.  I learned that they will play with it, knock it around with the sword before swallowing it.  I was setting the hook too soon.  

Pauld had a shark it.  Brought it to the yak and it then self released.  Derrick caught a nice Dolphin, (old school name).  That was really cool to watch.  The fish danced on the water about 5yards from me.  Wish I had a Go Pro.

we were between 100and 400 feet of water and a maximum of 2.5 miles from shore.  Peddling was no issue even in the big waves and boat wakes.

boat wakes...guys were out there looking for Wahoo.  At a couple of times it almost looked like bummer cars.  One boat with a fish on went between us!  Lol Neptune got even and the guy lost the fish...bad carma.

me...another swing and a miss.... Oh well, bad rehearsal great show!  I have full confidence in the boat. Out trolled both guys in their 30's who were peddling Other water crafts.  Learned how to bait for sails (Not experienced with live bait) and a few technics.   

Will update in mid January, after the tournament.   All in all, I had a blast.

December 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Al Audleman

Sounds like iti was a chore, nerve-wracking and run!

--

Al Audleman

ASAPhoto

850-572-1777

December 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Luck

Headed back to Pompano for the extreme kayak sailfish tournament...VERY EXCITED..wish me luck 

--

Oh ya, I fish

January 13, 2015 at 10:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ratherbefishin
Administrator

Good luck, bring back some hardware.

Do you use artificials in this tournament?

--

Curt Willocks

January 13, 2015 at 10:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David L
Administrator

Wishing you well wtih great fun and lots of fish. I am jealous. 

--

Pink Paddle Tails catch Flounder!

January 13, 2015 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Luck

Curt, I'll have 3 set ups with me. Two for live bait and one for arties.  Per sailfish regulations, only inline circle hooks are allowed. And only one hook per line.  That would include lures.  

I spent last night taking hooks off lures. Lol.  

My goals.  Getting the yak 300 yds to the water through soft sugar sand. 2. Learning to bridle a goggle eye. 3. Catch at least one fish. 4. Be able to get my rear end up and into the yak in the surf. 5. Stay in the boat. 

modest goals.

--

Oh ya, I fish

January 15, 2015 at 2:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

David L
Administrator

I think the summer even is going to be packed. Sounded like a ton of fun. I want to go this summer too.

--

Pink Paddle Tails catch Flounder!

January 21, 2015 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Luck

It was a great weekend.

Byron and his friend Jell were there too...

I've only had my Native ProPell Slayer a couple of months, but that baby handled the surf and gulf stream waves like a top. No issues with stability, easy to peddle all day long, in short it was a flawless hands free ride.

The rigging of the anglers yaks was amazing. From modest rod holders and a 5 gallon bait bucket to sattelights, kite stands and recirculating bait wells. I have never fished a turnie were the competitors were so willing to give you information and to lend a hand if needed.

I trust my instincts, lol unfortunately 7 others didn't and flipped (turtles).  The surfer in me looked for a rip tide to lunch in. Best to launch with the outflow.

Over the course of the pre-fish and the two day turnie, I had two sails hit my bait, but not landed. Also two sharks, one about 6 feet long, a trigger fish on a lure and a Cuda.

Joe and Maria Hector, hosted a great event. Captains meeting had a raffle,with prizes including a 3 days 2 nights lodging in the Bahamas and they served a nice buffet. Each morning there was coffee, really needed on Sunday, as well as beer and burritos on the beach when you got back in.

My biggest disappointment was that my electronics failed me. I got a "cell box". The arm the transmitter is on, does not hold up to the strength of the current and the waves. In 190 feet of water, my system said I was in 12 feet of water. This was a big disadvantage because you wanted to stay between 90 and 250 feet. Most of the sailfish were caught between 110 and 190 feet.

I have never really fished with live bait before, so I had a short learning curve. In a week I learned to tie a snell knot, polmaner knot, bridle a bait, use a balloon and...lol attach a Google eye to a circle hook. I was a hot mess and am not a raving fan of mono line.  So I did accomplish all my goals.  Next year...the leader board!

Now on to Flamingo!

--

Oh ya, I fish

January 22, 2015 at 10:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fish Addict

Gosh sounds like you had a ball and a learning curve.  WOuld have loved to been there too...  Outriggers and all.  

Send me pics of you in the new ride..   What color did you get .... BLUE or Camo....???

--

February 10, 2015 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.