Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Fishing Reports > Greatest weekend ever!

Lady Luck

I was glad to see the weather warming up. Fishing in 50 degree weather with wind blowing at 15 to 20 is not fun.

Saturday I met up around 10:30, with a couple other Guys and headed to the back creeks of south shore area. One of the creeks was almost hidden from site, as I entered, two hungry mangrove trees attempted to eat a couple of my rods. The current flying into the creek and did not help my efforts in retrieving the rods. Once I got them back, we had to hike over branches and ducked under tree limbs. Finally an opening...a channel, and a small pond.

Pulled out the Rapala X in gold and slowly, so slowly retired it with a couple small twitches. And bam! Almost next to the yak a snook nails it. Reel is screaming (I only had 10pd brais and a 20pd leader). She makes 5or 6 runs, towing the yak with her. Finally get her landed and she measured out around 31".

Caught another around 25ish on the wayout. Now the hunt for reds....

Not a jumping mullet to be found...in short, the Reds did a great job of hiding from us...but the day was a success.

Sunday I fished solo and chose the upper north shore area...blacken red fish on the grill was on my mind. Followed the out going tide to the flats, armada of yaks and power boat abound. Geeze was I at Weedon?

Went around them and found a school of upset mullet, tossed a 12 fathom swim tail to the far side of the school and slowly brought it back when big red hit. He tore off pulling me around like my yak was nothing. Run after run, every time I thought he had enough, he took off again.

Finally landed him...no plyers! Dang, mangroves must have eaten them yesterday. A really nice guy in a canoe saw I needed an assist and helped me release the 31" red. What a great weekend! (I can't post photos sent some to members of BACK, pls post them if you can)

--

Oh ya, I fish

February 23, 2015 at 9:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Gregg

Pam, What a great trip.  Haven't been ought for a couple of weeks.  Planning one soon in North Pinellas.  Wil give you a call to see if you can make it.

Bill

--

February 23, 2015 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Luck

Sounds like a plan Bill.

--

Oh ya, I fish

February 24, 2015 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.