Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Goombas and Gatherings > July 25, 2015 Night Goomba

DougW

Thanks for the email notice of the upcoming July 25, 2015 Night Goomba to be held at the Sunshine Skyway Bridge (dinner at 5:00 PM, launch at 7 PM). I checked the solunar data for Egmont Channel and the fishing should be fantastic for a couple of hours starting about sunset. The notification indicated that we should meet at the "toll booth". Which one - North or South? I noticed from the aerial photos of the Skyway Bridge that the small parking lots immediately adjacent to the toll boths are too small to accomodate BACK club members and their yaks. More detail on the exact meeting site would be appreciated. Thanks again.

--

Amia calva - The hardest fighting fresh water fish in North America!

July 16, 2015 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ratherbefishin
Administrator
Doug, we will launch on the beach to your right after the 50 cent toll bridge, just take the first right after the toll booth, you do not cross the bridge but you will see the dirt roadway, it is the only one before the bridge.  You will not actually enter Ft.Desoto park.  There should be plenty of parking space, even for those with trailers.  Sorry, I cannot add a photo of the area, maybe someone else can who is familiar with the launch.
--

Curt Willocks

July 16, 2015 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DougW

Thanks.  I know the spot.  I erroneously had typed in "Skyway" but meant "Ft DeSoto" .  I presume that we will be fishing north of the pass (Bunces), unless some are brave enough to cross through the (sometimes very heavy) boat traffic in the dark to Mullet Key Bayou!

--

July 16, 2015 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady Luck

Sounds like a good time, I'm looking forward to it 

--

Oh ya, I fish

July 23, 2015 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fish Addict

DougW at July 16, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Thanks for the email notice of the upcoming July 25, 2015 Night Goomba to be held at the Sunshine Skyway Bridge (dinner at 5:00 PM, launch at 7 PM). I checked the solunar data for Egmont Channel and the fishing should be fantastic for a couple of hours starting about sunset. The notification indicated that we should meet at the "toll booth". Which one - North or South? I noticed from the aerial photos of the Skyway Bridge that the small parking lots immediately adjacent to the toll boths are too small to accomodate BACK club members and their yaks. More detail on the exact meeting site would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Hi Doug,

I think you are thinking Skyway...  NOT SO.

We meet at Ft. Desoto ... take Pinellas Bayway and head south towards FT. Desoto.  You will arrive at a toll booth.  Immediately past it on the right is an opening in the guard rail.  Turn right and we are there.  

Hope to see you there ....

Dave   "The Fish Addict"

--

July 23, 2015 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DougW

I don't know what I was thinkig when I wrote that.  I meant Ft DeSoto, but I said skyway.  They both have 2 toll booths.  I confused myself when I looked up the tides (Tides4Fishing) at nearby Egmont Key.  Thanks for the correction.  With 80% chance of storms rolling in from the west, not sure if I am going to make the hour drive from east Tampa.

--

July 23, 2015 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dulcelife

The forecasts are not lookin good.  Who makes the call and when.....  to cancel the Goomba altogether.
I don't think I will make the drive from Plant City if the probabilites remain fairly high across all hours of the day as is the case at the moment.

--

July 24, 2015 at 10:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WayneBo

The weather forcast doesnt look very good.  If it gets rained out would we possible get to reschedule for another weekend?  I look forward to this each year but it seems to get keep getting rained out.

--

Native Slayer 14.5 in Mango....

Are you up for a good PADDLING!

July 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fish Addict

I won't make this GOOMBA due to the weather outlook.  IF it is rescheduled someone please email me so I can make arrangements.  I definitely want to night fish.....

my email is [email protected]

Thanks in advance.l.

--

July 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

DougW

The predicted weather conditions are looking better - see http://locations.splocs.com/kitesurf/loc/Pass_a_Grille_Beach.html

--

July 24, 2015 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ratherbefishin
Administrator

I THINK IT PRUDENT TO CANCEL THE GOOMBA AS PLANNED. From weather.gov-

SATURDAY NIGHT

WEST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO AROUND

5 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.

SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING. SHOWERS LIKELY. ISOLATED

THUNDERSTORMS AFTER MIDNIGHT

Other sites are anticipating higher winds and gusts to 21.

The anticipated conditions may be doable in daylight, but a night event changes everything.  Some folks have indicated they may want to still get together for some food and conversation, check this site and FaceBook for any details if this happens.   I have asked Donald and Neil to keep the sites updated on their plans.

--

Curt Willocks

July 24, 2015 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

trumpetfish

I was planning to make the cook-out and bring a nice salad.  Too bad about the weather.  Let me know if it is on again.

--
July 24, 2015 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donald

I think we should cancel. This sucks !!

July 25, 2015 at 8:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ruben

Safety first. I was looking to fishing at night. Hopefully, we can reschedule

July 25, 2015 at 8:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donald

What about next saturday? I have no plans. 

--
July 25, 2015 at 8:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

WayneBo

I think next Saturday would be a good idea depending on the weather..

--

July 25, 2015 at 1:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Herb
I hate we have to cancel, but safety comes first. I am looking forward to night fishing and learning from the experienced club members.
--

July 25, 2015 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

WayneBo

I just heard from Pam that it was cancled.  Thats a shame.  I think the night goomba is one of the highlights of the year.  We both think we should try to reschedule for next weekend.  What do you all think?

--

July 25, 2015 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.