Bay Area Canoe and Kayak Fishing Club

Where friends get together to share the Tampa Bay area waters.

Forums

Forum Home > Fishing Reports > Fishing Tips

Korbeck

Hi, I recently got access to a place down in Hudson and I have been fishing it hard from a boat. Some specs, groupers, and cobias on occasion.

I plan on trying to fish from my outback at in the gulf in hudson using the same techniques (gulp shrimps basically), but that is a hell of a paddle out. Pretty much will be kayaking 6 miles out, drifting all day, and about 6 miles back.

Besides fort de soto (which I've never fished from a kayak before, will give a try), are there friendly kayak places to launch to explore mangroves or grass beds to hunt for specs/reds?

I don't mean to jump on anyone's honey hole, and I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules, just a general pointer would do.

Places I plan on fishing eventually:

Fort Desoto (No Idea Where To Launch, but I'm sure I can figure it out)

Tampa Bridge-Skyway Pier  (No Idea Where to Launch)

I appreciate any advice and tips. Have a great day, and looking foward to being here long term as my parents have moved down there permantly. 

- Kevin

January 5, 2016 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ratherbefishin
Administrator

Hi, Kevin.  Take a look at the Launches site on our Links page, that should give you some pretty good info.  Then find the launch site you want on google earth and explore good looking spots.  Good luck, hope to see you at our meeting Jan. 19.

--

Curt Willocks

January 6, 2016 at 7:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donald

Korbeck at January 5, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Hi, I recently got access to a place down in Hudson and I have been fishing it hard from a boat. Some specs, groupers, and cobias on occasion.

I plan on trying to fish from my outback at in the gulf in hudson using the same techniques (gulp shrimps basically), but that is a hell of a paddle out. Pretty much will be kayaking 6 miles out, drifting all day, and about 6 miles back.

Besides fort de soto (which I've never fished from a kayak before, will give a try), are there friendly kayak places to launch to explore mangroves or grass beds to hunt for specs/reds?

I don't mean to jump on anyone's honey hole, and I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules, just a general pointer would do.

Places I plan on fishing eventually:

Fort Desoto (No Idea Where To Launch, but I'm sure I can figure it out)

Tampa Bridge-Skyway Pier  (No Idea Where to Launch)

I appreciate any advice and tips. Have a great day, and looking foward to being here long term as my parents have moved down there permantly. 

- Kevin

Hi Kevin. Take the 2nd dirt road after the kayak rental place to end. Paddle to left a little is Soldiers Hole. Flounder. Paddle out more  to left reds and snook by the islands. Trout east of the islands in the grass flats. Good Luck and tight lines.

--
January 6, 2016 at 10:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Donald

Kevin. have you tried Brasher Park? I have caught trout, reds and snook out there. 

January 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dave R

Maximo Park kis a great place to launch with access to the Skyway area. I-275 south, last exit to the right before you get on the first bridge of the Skyway causeway.

--

Dave R

January 15, 2016 at 9:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.